6.23.2008

Lake Connor Park

This weekend we spent a majority of our awake hours at Lake Connor Park. For those of you who are not familiar with this location, it is a fabulous camp ground of sorts that the Tesch family has been going to for countless years. They call it a "Private Camping Club" (sounds very exclusive, doesn't it?), which means that you pay monthly dues, own your own campsite, and get to enjoy all of the amenities that come with the park. My parents and grandparents own sites next door to one another, so we enjoy the benefits of my parent's permanant camp trailer and the camp fire pit on my grandparents lot. The park also is home to several parks (with swings, slides, tennis courts...you get the idea), a few swimming pools, a 12 acre "lake" (more like large pond) and over 300 acres of wooded area that allow you to feel completely disconnected from the rest of society (yet still close to home). This is the place where we go to relax, unwind and spend quality family time together. Thus, this is where the Tesch family spent the weekend.

On Friday evening, Marc & Anna, the kids (Grace, Ezra, Audrey), Brian & I, Brad & Nikki, and my mom & dad all met up to enjoy a campfire, hot dogs and smores. Marc & Brian took the kids swimming, while the rest of us stayed behind to chat and relax. It can be challenging having a 6 year old, 3 year old, and 1 year old all sleep in the same trailor, so Marc & Anna elected to bring the family to our house for the night. We got here around midnight and put the kids to bed; keep in mind, they had all been sleeping for a while already - they had a definite headstart on us. We got to sleep around one in the morning, were joined in bed by Ezra around five in the morning, and joined by Grace shortly there after. By seven in the morning, they were both wide awake and ready to wrestle. Needless to say, Brian and I loved having them spend the night, however we are not nearly ready for sleep deprevation. My hat goes off to all the parents out there who have done this, as Marc says, "every day for the last six years." I think Marc & Anna enjoyed watching us learn parenting 101 the hard way. :) Note: Go to bed when the kids go to bed, you'll be far less grumpy in the morning.

Saturday we went back up to Connor's, did some swimming, eating, kayaking, laughing, and good ole' fashion relaxing. A new purchase for Brian & I is a set of kayaks (see previous blog) and we thought it would be fun for my parents to try them out. My parents have never kayaked before, so Brian took my dad out first while the rest of us stayed behind at the campsite. About an hour later, my mom and I ventured down to the lake to see how they were doing, and what do we find? A completely soaked dad. Apparently, my dad underestimated his strength and overcorrecting ability; in his attempts to not allow his kayak to hit Brian, he dumped himself over in to the murky, gross waters of Lake Connor. With the help of a very kind fisherman, they were able to get my dad back in to his kayak and back to safety. My dad was a great sport about it though, and did not let that ruin his fun. He stayed out there and explored the lake for a while longer. Way to be a trooper, Dad!

Later that evening, a few people had left for various reasons and Brad, Brian, Mom, Dad, and I were left to go find dinner. We had an amazing meal at IXTAPA Mexican Restaurant in Lake Stevens and enjoyed lots of laughs over old memories. I do not remember the last time I laughed that hard or remembered that many great memories of growing up. We had a wonderful childhood and I am truly, truly blessed to have the amazing family that I have. We love each other. :)

On Sunday, Brian & I went to church and then spent the rest of the day hanging out and enjoying one another's company. We cleaned the garage (everything has a home now!!) and went on a long walk. So nice to enjoy the summer weather and just be together!!

We had a perfect weekend; good weather, great company, fun activities and lots of laughs. Below is a plethora of photographs from the weekend - enjoy!














2 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Looks like fun! I bet I would tip the Kayak if I tried to do it. Your poor Dad...

Mel

Anonymous said...

What a good writer you are Jen. I love reading your blog. you got some really great pics too.
Love,
Mom