In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I figured I would share with you all my new found Irish heritage. Before marrying in to the McGill family, I was purely Norwegian, German, Dutch, and a little bit of a few more things...but now I carry an Irish last name and am proud of it. :)
McGill is a Scottish and Irish surname and is an anglicized form of Gaelic Mac an Ghoill, which means "son of the stranger." Does not really apply to our family, but the meaning none the less.
Also, in case you were interested, here are some famous people with the McGill last name:
Andrew Ryan McGill, American politician
Arnold Robert McGill, Australian ornithologist
Brendan McGill, Irish footballer
Bruce McGill, American actor
Bryant H. McGill, a contemporary American poet
Donald McGill, British graphic artist and author
Everett McGill, American actor
James McGill, Scottish-born Canadian businessman and philanthropist
Lynn McGill, fictional character played by Sean Astin on the 5th season of the television drama 24
McGill, anti-hero of the 1960s series Man in a Suitcase, whose first name is never disclosed
Mike McGill, American skateboarder
Patrick McGill, Irish politician and journalist.
Ollie McGill, member of Australian band The Cat Empire
Peter McGill, mayor of Montreal in the 1840s
Ralph McGill, American journalist
William McGill, member of the 1st Parliament of Ontario from 1867 to 1871
William J. McGill, President of Columbia University in the 1970s and Chancellor of UC-San Diego in the late 1960s
And there is always McGill University and McGill, Nevada.
All in all, it's a very nice name. As a child I was always jealous of Brian's sister Katy...I thought it was very cool that she got to have two capitalized letters in her last name; who knew that some day I too would be able to share in that amazing privilege.
1 comment:
I love the last name of McGill, also.
It will be easy to put baby names with it also. Love you, Mom
Post a Comment