7.06.2008

It's Independence Day

First of all, I must say, I adore three-day weekends. We had a fairly low-key weekend filled with friends, family and evenings of staying up way past our bedtime. Here is a recap:

Thursday evening we drove up to Wil and Tracy's house to enjoy a BBQ and some Big Lake fireworks (they do their show on the 3rd each year). We ended up staying at their neighbor’s house enjoying wonderful drinks and playing poker until 3:00 AM and then we crashed on Wil & Tracy's couch.

Friday morning, er, afternoon we got up and headed back home. On our way we stopped off at Lake Connor Park to see my parents and enjoyed some Red Robin with my mom. Then we sat around the campfire and chatted about life until it was time to go home and take some showers. Around 9:00 PM we realized that it was the 4th of July after all, and maybe we should go out and see some more fireworks. So we checked the Internet for all the shows in Washington and headed over to join the crowds at Alderwood Mall. The show was wonderful and we were able to sneak out without too much traffic. We decided to keep with our theme of staying up late and proceeded to play an invigorating game of Yatzee until 2:30 AM. Did I mention that I love weekends?

On Saturday we woke up early because our internal clocks are really confused and decided we were done sleeping. We picked up the house and wanted Enchanted (I also love Disney movies!) and then headed back over to Alderwood Mall to eat some Claim Jumpers with Anna, Grace and my parents. Grace was a riot as usual and allowed me to take some wonderful pictures of her (see below). We did make a sad realization however, that Grace can stick her tongue out further than me. I have no talent in that area...darn short, stubby tongue.

After lunch (and a little bit of candy shopping with Grace) my parents, Brian and I went and watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Brian and I had recently rented all of the Indiana Jones movies in preparation for this event, so we were well prepared. I have to say, I really enjoyed the movie. It was better than the critics had said, and I always like getting the chance to cuddle with Brian and eat popcorn, soda and candy.

After the movie we did some more shopping (I now have a new appreciate for the Forever Twenty-One store) and then headed home. We weren't ready for bed (apparently our internal clocks learned something from the previous two nights), so we watched two chick flicks (yes, Brian loves me...or he's trying to stalk pile points for some reason...) - The Jane Austen Book Club and Waitress - and then went to bed around 2:00 AM.

On Sunday, we woke up just in time for church and enjoyed a great sermon. Kelley Taylor really does know how to teach!! For the afternoon, we decided to go to the driving range and hit some golf balls with Brian's new golf clubs, then do some grocery shopping, house cleaning, and vehicle bathing. My time with a golf ball proved to be less than encouraging, however, Brian did quite well (see photos below).

Now, I sit here and type to you all while Brian plays Halo 3 online with Marc. Ahh, I wish this weekend would never end.

On a more serious note, I was thinking this weekend about how amazing it is that we are a free, successful and powerful country. Just over two hundred years ago, the United States of America was being established, with a great hope for the future, but no promise of success. I am proud to be an American and so thankful that men and women all over the country fight for our freedom.

"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him." - Abraham Lincoln







No comments: