At 3:30PM, Brian, Grace and I headed to "town," but really want to West Beach to strategically place a piece of drift wood that Brad had carved "I Want to Grow Old with You..." on and wait with our camera for Brad and Nikki to walk down to the beach. We were down there for about 15 minutes when Brian frantically yelled my name, and I looked up and they were standing on top of some logs, close to where I was standing. Grace (who was busy collecting rocks and hiding them in the sand for Brad and Nikki) and I run down the beach to where Brian was sitting and start to take pictures. Lucky for us, Nikki can't see very far without her glasses on and she had "conveinently" left them at home that day (or Brad made her forget them). The three of us sat, holding our breath, as Brad looked around for the piece of drift wood (opps, I might have put it on the wrong fort...the one he wanted me to put it on had washed away) and then he finally found it. Nikki thought it was a sweet gift, gave him a kiss and proceeded down to the water's edge to find some rocks.
Meantime, back over on the logs where Brian, Grace and I sat, Grace realized that she had to use the bathroom very badly, and no, Aunt Jenny it would not wait. I ask Grace if she knows how to use the bathroom in the woods, she is a bit hesitant, but without other options she agrees to try it out. Off Grace and I go to find a nice spot amongst the logs and bushes while Brian continues to snap pictures for the memory book. As Grace is taking care of her business, she wants a play by play of the proposal and then hears a seagull overhead. She looks at me and says, "Aunt Jenny, I heard her scream!" No, Grace...that wasn't Nikki, but close.
Brad and Nikki's relationship started at West Beach where they had their first date at a fort (the one that washed away) and so they were accustomed to coming down here, collecting pieces of driftwood (with sweet slogans that Brad would carve in them such as "Brad Loves Nikki" and "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" and pretty rocks. Nikki thought this day was no different and wanted to get some more rocks for her collection. After picking up an orange rock that Brad calls "ugly" he tells her that he wants her to find a tiny, shiny one. After her search fails, Brad hugs her and pulls a ring box out of his pocket and asks her to marry him. She cries and says "Yes!" and then slips the gorgeous ring on her finger. He did very, very well.
After they hug and kiss a bit, he tells her that Brian, Jen and Grace are a few feet away and have been taking pictures the whole time. She cries some more and tells us to come over and join them. Grace races over and we all give them hugs and offer our congratulations. We all laugh, smile and cherish the perfect moment.
The five of us head back to the house to enjoy a nice family BBQ. Nikki's parents, Marilyn and Tim, are there, as well as my parents, and Marc and Anna and the kids. We all enjoyed each other's company emmensely and laughed a lot.
My congratulations go to the happy couple...watch out world, another Mrs. Tesch is about to be on the scene. :)
Here are some pictures of us waiting, the big moment and the special couple.
1 comment:
I love how you explained everything..... I can't wait to become Mrs. Tesch. I am so happy.
Post a Comment